- 2 Rolls of refrigerated pie dough
- 1 Can of Pie filling (I'll be doing apple and blueberry or maybe cherry hmmm)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp water
- Crystal Sugar
- Using very cold dough, unroll the dough and cut out six, circles, approximately 6 inches in diameter. I used a medium sized Pyrex bowl- works perfectly. You will have to re-roll the dough since you can only get 2 circles at a time from a 9 inch crust.
- Place 2 Tbsp of pie filling in the center of each circle.
- Whisk together the egg and water, and brush the mixture on the edges of the pie crust.
- Prepare your egg wash by whisking together the egg yolk with a tablespoon of water. Brush egg wash on edge of dough circles, fold filled dough in half and seal the edges with a fork.
- Chill hand pies for at least 30 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Remove pies from refrigerator and brush with remaining egg wash. Sprinkle on crystal sugar and cut a small slit in the top of each pie to let out steam.
- Bake about 20-25 minutes. When done, pies should be golden brown and flaky.
- Cool to room temperature before serving. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Yield 6 Handpies