- Practice fire safety. Nothing looks nicer than a Thanksgiving table aglow with candles. But be sure to never leave any fire unattended particularly when you have pets in the house. If everyone is in another room a hungry pup looking for scraps of Turkey could cause a candle to get knocked over by a wagging tail, it can lead to a serious fire.
- Hoard the people food. Although it’s tempting to give your pets a taste or two from your Thanksgiving plate, too much human food can be bad for your pet’s health. (This one is hard for me because I know my Dogs LOVE Turkey but I will be making more of an effort to try and cut back.)
- Hide the breakables. Holiday feasts can mean bringing out treasured items like Great Aunt Mae’s fine china or your finest stemware. Just remember that your beloved pets don’t know the value of these items, and they could get broken. So if you have favorite, breakable decorations or table settings, be sure to keep them out of reach.
- Watch out for toxic plants. Many holiday plants, including mistletoe, holly, poinsettia, and even that beautiful Thanksgiving centerpiece of lilies can be toxic to pets. If you must decorate with these holiday pet dangers, keep them well away from curious paws and mouths.
- A toast to everyone’s health. When you raise that glass of holiday bubbly, be sure to place your unattended alcoholic drinks where Fido can’t sneak a taste. Alcohol and pets simply don’t mix. If ingested, your pet could become weak, ill, go into a coma or worse.
- How sweet it isn’t. Although many people like to leave out chocolates for visitors throughout the holidays, it’s important to remember that these sweets are major pet dangers. Chocolate is tasty for you, but it’s toxic for your Dog.
- Keep the lights high. Many people enjoy decorating with strings of lights during the holidays, but do so with caution. Twinkling lights make a shiny toy, but they’re not safe to play with or chew on. Keep your celebrations shock-free by hanging lights up high. (I haven’t had a problem with this one because my dogs aren’t chewers but for others it could be.)
- Don’t decorate with food. Strings of cranberries and popcorn can be a beautiful way to liven up your household, and a fun project to do with your kids, but they’re holiday hazards for pets. Even if the food on the string isn’t toxic for your dog, they may end up eating the string—and that can cause serious health problems.
- Steer clear of tinsel town. Tinsel is more than just a glittery decoration. If your pets eat it, it can cause intestinal problems that require a trip to the veterinarian.
- Wrap it up. If you like to display your holiday presents, watch out for ribbons, bells, and other small toys that can present a choking hazard for your pet. If there are any dangerous-looking gifts, it may be a good idea to hide them safely in a closet until it’s time to open them—or open them right away. After all, no one can accuse you of being rude if you’re doing it to have a pet-safe holiday.
Sunday, November 13, 2011
Pet Safety Tips for the Holiday
Both Sam and Josh have microchips in the event that they ever get lost, one of the perks from the company is getting a monthly newsletter and I thought I would share the latest article for those of you who have pets because we will soon be celebrating winter festivities. Below you will find Ten Safety Tips for this Holiday Season….
Posted by Sarah Renee at 5:58 AM